Thursday, January 4, 2018

Best of 2017: Albums

My Best Albums of the year are based on how many times I listened to a given album the year it was released. Apparently, in Spring of 2017 I found what I liked and listened to it on repeat all year long. This is not a top 10 list, it's not even a top 5 list. 
Here are my top 4 albums from 2017. 

4. Every Where Is Some Where
       K. Flay


"Blood In The Cut", proceeded K. Flay's  second album by a few months, quickly becoming a smash hit single. It dominated air-waves, catapulting the lyric spitting Standford grad into recognition. K. Flay has been on fire ever since Every Where Is Some Where dropped on April 4th, 2017. The album serves as a self exploration of pain, hurt, vices and healing. Her unique vocals carry each songs' story which are driven by layers of whirling synths thumping against sharp hooks and edgy riffs.  The instrumentation on the album nudged her into the wide world of indie music but the flow of her delivery taps into her rap roots. Her rapping capabilities are heard best on "Champagne"  but even on the slowest tempo track, "Hollywood Forever" she still spits.  



There are lots of great lyrics throughout the entire album 
 but I really relate to the rhythmic "Giver" making it my favorite track of the album.  After years of having K.Flay on my personal radar it is so awesome to see her explode with success! She's been nominated for two Grammy awards: Best Engineered Album, non classical for Every Where is Some Where and Best Rock Song for Blood In The Cut and you can catch her on tour with Sir Sly soon! 

3. DAMN.
   Kendrick Lamar

On April 14th, 2017 Kendrick Lamar released his 4th studio album, DAMN. On the heels of inaugurating Donald Trump into office as POTUS. I don't doubt that a lot of people across this divided country thought and felt the same thing, DAMN. And almost every news story since: tweets, tax plan, medi-care, immigrationNorth Korea, Russia, TIME magazine, White Nationalists, National Parks, Women's Rights, Global Warming, fake news, Net Neutrality, etc. continue to make us think, DAMN.

The fact that all of the track titles are capitalized with a period at the end really drive the point of awareness home.  I love that the album starts with BLOOD., a metaphorical monologue about a blind woman looking for something that has been lost only to find out it's your life that is lost. You can't tell when BLOOD. ends and the next track, DNA. begins and that in and of itself (the seamless transition and the fluidity of the names of the songs) highlight how smart this album is. That same fluidity comes up again with LUST. followed by LOVE. LUST. is my #1 favorite track off the album with all of the beat drops and changes. LOVE. is my 2nd favorite track and the lyrics "Keep it a hundred, I'd rather you trust me than to (love me)" is my favorite line on the album.


Sure the beats are catchy, HUMBLE. did blow up the charts but it's the important message behind it that should really grab your attention. Social Media and how many likes you get or shares or whatever have diluted our perception of self confidence and self worth so be humble, be real, be you. When I see a festival full of privileged white kids/young adults belting out the lyrics to this song I wonder if they understand what message Lamar is trying to convey and I can't help but to think to myself, DAMN. The 30 year old rapper gave us a smart album at a time we need it most.

2. Harry Styles 
   Harry Styles 

The English-Irish London based pop boy band, One Direction has been on hiatus since 2016.  I wouldn't be able to name you one of their songs or albums and I wouldn't have been able to name any members of the group, that is of course until May 12, 2017.  There was a lot of buzz around Harry Styles' first solo album, I didn't really understand why. I thought it'd be another pop album from a pop kid but I gave it a go on the day it was released. I remember thinking it wasn't bad. It had a very dry rock taste with a touch of the blues and infamous indie. The more I listened to Harry Styles the more I liked it and the more I listened to it, the more I liked Harry Styles. Harry's sense of style (even if it is just publicity sake), is fly but funky, reminiscent of  rock gods of the 60's. The video for "Kiwi" is kids having a big cupcake fight (music and cupcakes you guys). In London last October, he stopped his show to help a fan who was having a panic attack and he's in Dunkirk! I'm not ashamed to admit it, I like Harry Styles, I mean have you seen those eyes?! And it all started with his music.


The simplistic cover says a lot: he's cleansing himself of 1D, he's in his own skin, re-born, a new, he's his own person. Harry Styles is Harry Styles and visa-versa. It's innocently revealing too, much like the songs on the album.
Piano and guitar play a prominent part throughout the album and Harry hits some impressive falsettos. The first time I heard "Two Ghosts" I automatically knew it was my favorite track. It's so pure and mature: his slightly raspy vocals are humbly steady, giving the song of heartbreak a soothing element. It's a lovely song. It's a lovely album. And if you haven't heard Harry's Spotify singles or his cover of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain", they too are a must listen.





1. What Now 
   Sylvan Esso 

It had been three years since Sylvan Esso's self titled debut album and I know I wasn't the only one who was so excited when What Now was released on April 28th, 2017. 
The name What Now sums up the fact that sophomore albums are tough conquest after a successful debut album but Sylvan Esso came out victorious with this one. It starts with "Sound", a distorted low-fi introduction with Amelia's soft vocals getting closer and closer to the surface with each repeated verse until all that's heard is her. It's a hauntingly poetic foreshadow of the rest of the album. Their sound still swims in the depths of synthesizers but Amelia's vocals aren't swept away or drowned out by them. One of the things I love about their first album is that every track is your favorite track and that's found again on their second album. Some songs are more dancey like "Kick Jump Twist" and "Just Dancing" while others are more mellow and kind of melancholy like "Slack Jaw", "Die Young" and "Rewind".  It's a very introspective album that feels all the feels which in turn makes you feel all of your feels. Sylvan Esso's artistic lyricism is some of my favorite: "sometimes I'm above water but mostly I'm at sea" from "Slack Jaw" for example. The creativeness is simply beautiful. The line "never stop starting" in "Just Dancing" is simply inspiring, worthing of being one of those inspirational quotes painted on a block of rustic wood. The different paths Sylvan Esso go down within their electtro sound on What Now blurs the line between electro-pop and electro-indie and it's great. Sylvan Esso is electro indie-pop's sweetheart.  What Now scored Sylvan Esso their first Grammy Award nom for Best  Dance/Electronic Album! You got our vote Sylvan Esso, best of luck! 





1 comment:

  1. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma.,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,
    Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete