Friday, May 29, 2020

Katie's butterfly cupcakes

Two years ago I worked Electric Forest for the first time and I was partnered with a lovely lady named Katie. She is one of the sweetest, kind hearted, hard working, professional peoples I have ever met and had the pleasure of working with. I learned a lot from her in the two weeks we spent together in the campgrounds of electric Forest in the Summer of 2018. Hot, sweaty, disgusting, dirty. 

One of the things that I learned about Katie herself is that she loves to bake. She showed me pictures of cakes she's made, towering cakes wrapped in fondant and decorated like you wouldn't believe that someone did that in their kitchen at home. Cobblers and pies that looked like stuff right out of a Southern Comfort Food cookbook or something. I'm sure I probably mentioned wanting to try any cupcakes that she made or featuring her cupcakes on my blog or something like that.

We both worked Forest last year, too. We weren't partners and even though we were on the same team I was on overnights so we barely saw each other, not as much as I would have liked. People who work in  the world of festivals come from all over, so chances are you usually only see the people you work with, when you work with them.
On-site. Hot, sweaty, disgusting, dirty. What I wouldn't give for those days. 


Fairy doors at Electric Forest 2018

While scrolling through Instagram one day a few weeks ago, I came across a picture of the cutest, colorful butterfly cupcakes. It wasn't a post from one of the many cupcakeries/bakeries that I follow. The cupcakes that look like they should win Cupcake Wars were made by my friend Katie. Her caption under the photo read: "some Spring baking to celebrate this beautiful weather and lots of free time. These butterflies are my absolute favorite thing to make out of chocolate." Not only are these butterfly cupcakes that she made really pretty but when we were partners at Electric Forest we found all 24 fairy doors (if you've been to Forest, you know) and since then  things that flutter remind me of her. 
Also, April showers bring May flowers and butterflies love flowers! 

butterfly cupcakes by Katie
photo by Katie

She used a box mix to make the cupcakes since she's pretty low on baking supplies because of the lock-down. But, with that said, the chocolate butterflies that are on top are the main focus of these cupcakes. Mixing two shades of green food-dye with melted white chocolate, she then dipped the tops of the cupcakes into this mixture to give the tops a smooth finish for the butterflies to rest on. The butterflies are made by mixing melting chocolate and then piping the wings and body onto wax paper. Once the chocolate hardened she transferred the bodies and wings to the cupcake, placing them so that it looks like a butterfly landing on a flower. 
If you don't have pastry bags for piping, sandwich bags can be used by cutting off one of the tips of one of the corners which makes it an easy to clean project. Katie really does make it look and sound easy! 
You can use any flavor cake for the cupcakes, you can use any type of chocolate for the butterflies and you can use frosting instead of a white chocolate shell. You can really get creative and customize these butterflies and they'll look great with any flavor you decide make them! 


butterfly cupcakes by Katie
photo by Katie

It's really neat to see what festie friends are passionate about when they're not on-site working. 
We'll be seeing more cupcake creations from Katie here on Sweet Sound Bites! 
I can't wait until I get to see my friend and maybe be able to try one of her cupcakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment