Monday, July 27, 2020

Tammie Coe Cakes Coconut Cupcake in Arizona

Back in February I was on my way home from working my first music festival of 2020, Envision in Costa Rica. After nine days on-site in the rain forest/jungle, I had a six hour layover at Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix Arizona before returning home (five days later I'd fly out to Florida to work Okeechobee Music Festival, my second music festival of the 2020 circuit which inevitability was the last music festival of 2020). 

Ok, back to being at the airport in Arizona for six hours...my friend who hired me is the Director of Business Operations of Envision and he use to be a chef in Arizona. So, when I told him about my lengthy lay over he gave me recommendations on what I should eat and where. 


Coconut cupcake from Tammie Coe Cakes 
photo by Nikki DeMartini 




There are over 50 places to eat and or get coffee in this airport and most of them are located in Terminal 4. After eating an almost all vegan diet from on-site catering for over a week, the first stop I made was at LoLo's Chicken & Waffles for some chicken and waffles, then Sweet Republic for some ice cream. 

If you're my friend you know that I review cupcakes and this friend insisted that I get a cupcake from Tammie Coe Cakes. 
Don't gotta tell me twice. 
I have a huge sweet tooth so it didn't matter that I had already had ice cream plus I was there for six hours! 









After finding my gate and hunkering down for a bit there, I ventured around Terminal 4 in search of Tammie Coe Cakes. It's a tiny little location that is more like a kiosk and I almost missed it because it's not a bakery façade at all but rather a little convenient store of sorts. I'm happy I got there when I did because there was only two cupcakes left, one Coconut and one Red Velvet, each in their own individual, domed plastic container in true shop and go form. I appreciate that the Tammie Coe logo was printed on the cupcake's paper wrapper, that's something that you don't see very often. 

Even though I thought I was all tropical flavored out, I got the Coconut cupcake because I just wasn't feeling Red Velvet that day for whatever reason. 


Coconut cupcake from Tammie Coe Cakes 
photo by Nikki DeMartini


My plan was to save it for a mid-flight treat, giving it time to defrost a little bit since it had been refrigerated at the store. Typically speaking I prefer un-refrigerated cupcakes because the texture of the frosting is how it's intended to be and the over all taste of the cupcake is better, truer if you will. However I totally understand why Tammie Coe Cakes refrigerates their to-go cupcakes at the Sky Harbor International Airport because they will and do stay fresher longer. 


Coconut cupcake from Tammie Coe Cakes
photo by Nikki DeMartini

Even though I didn't eat it right away, I couldn't wait to eat the Coconut cupcake until we were up and en route to SF.  Instead, I ate it as I waited to board my flight home. The frosting and cake were really dense. The white vanilla cake was sweet with the right amount of buttery goodness. That and the fact that it was dense, leads me to believe that if it hadn't been refrigerated it probably would have been moist if/when fresh. 
The cream cheese frosting was sweet but not overly sweet and it was rich. I thought that it was buttercream frosting but alas it was cream cheese frosting. 
The shaved coconut which covered the frosting gave a subtle chewy texture to the decadent cupcake and it's hint of flavor that's reminiscent t of warm Sumer days added a nice tropical touch. Sometimes coconut can be over powering but nit this time. 

According to the website, it turns out that Tammie Coe Cakes only has three cupcake flavors to choose from: Coconut, Red Velvet and Ooey Gooey (chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting and white chocolate shavings). I love the name, Ooey Gooey, it sounds yummy already!
Tammie Coe Cakes has one location in Scottsdale Arizona and two in Phoenix, one of which being in Sky Harbor International Airport. There couldn't have been a better way to end my rain forest/jungle adventure than the Coconut cupcake from Tammie Coe Cakes in the airport. If I ever fly through Phoenix again I want to try the two other cupcake flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment