Friday, January 7, 2022

Favorite new music find of 2021

 I found my favorite new music find of 2021 when I wasn't looking for it, not really anyway. COVID bookended by a busy work schedule aside I was finally getting to see DRAMA live and I was very excited about it.  It was an Outside Lands night show and DRAMA had been on the  whacky 2021 "postponed" festival circuit playing some of the same festivals that I was working but I had yet to see them.  Better yet, that night I was getting to see DRAMA live at Bimbo's, the most picture-esqe, art-deco venue to see a concert in SF. Fate would have it that contrary to personal show going practices, I arrived in time to see the opener that night, too. 



The band was Brijean, a collaboration of Brijean Murphy and Doug Stewart  based out of Oakland. I hadn't heard of them before but later found out that Murphy is an accomplished DJ, making a name for herself as a sought after percussionists on the indie scene after working with the likes of Poolside and Toro Y Moi. Their demeanor, though a bit meager was somewhat oddly inciting, or maybe it was seeing Murphy situated behind a huge pair of bongos that sparkled the initial interest. What kind of hippy noodling experience were we about to get into with these two hipsters? 


Brijean @ Bimbo's 365 Club 10/27/2021
photo by Nikki DeMartini

Their sound, retro yet bubbly, is unassumingly immersive. Hypnotically harmonizing melodies of sweet bass hooks, fun percussion and dancey synths with Murphy's almost nymph like vocals that carry a unique pitch and leisurely allure complete the package. Stuck in a trace standing there in front of the stage I was completely submerged in every song they played. If I closed my eyes long enough I bet that I could have easily forgotten where I was, transported far far away to another place and time.
The song "Hey Boy" totally encapsules their tropical, trippy vibe which simultaneously transcends a high and lo tempo like butter across all of their tracks. Filling every nook and cranny with a smooth deliciousness that's hard to resist.
Turns out their whole 2021 album, Feelings is no different. Just the right amount of funk and jam and indie and of course those sweet, sweet bongos. 



Their sultry finesse matched that of Drama's.
Coincidence? Maybe.
Both bands did play Outside Lands...either way it left me thinking that Brijean and Tash Sultana would be a good billing fit, too. 



DRAMA @ Bimbo's 365 Club 10/27/2021
photo by Nikki DeMartini



















Brijean is a great soundtrack for a small at home get together, a cocktail party, a picnic, a warm bath and as I found out a few days later, a perfect mid-day set at a music festival. That's right, the chill dynamic duo played the Panhandle stage at the 2021 Outside Lands which had been postponed to Halloween weekend from it's usual early to mid August scheduling. As the sun shown down on Golden Gate park, the small crowd that had gathered at the small stage was a happy one. Happy to be there, basking in warm sunshine and the feel good tunes with summer of love undertones. It was here that I determined that "Moody" is my favorite song by them, recorded and live. And that yes, I am a fan of Brijean. 

 I'm happy I found out about Brijean and to be sharing them with you. Maybe you'll be a fan now, too!

Brijean at Outside Lands 2021 
photo by Nikki DeMartini


No comments:

Post a Comment