Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Dahlia Bakery in Seattle

I had never heard of Dahlia Bakery when I visited Seattle earlier this month but as I walked from Pike Place to the Space Needle across town, my path crossed the cute little store front. My Aunt Molly whom I love dearly, loves Dahlias and being fond of the big, colorful blooms myself,  I felt I had to see what this bakery was all about. I was on vacation after all, so why not treat myself to an afternoon delight. 

Dahlia Bakery in Seattle
photo by Nikki DeMartini

To say that the Dahlia Bakery is small is an understatement, it's tiny! There's just enough room to walk in and look at the wall and counter full of delectable selections. And I do mean full! Once you step foot inside Dahlia Bakery you're completely surrounded by cookies, cakes, pies, tarts and bread practically from floor to ceiling!  The lady behind the counter was super helpful, offering lots of recommendations of her favorites, customer favorites and popular choices based on what your sweet tooth is in the mood for (i.e: chocolate or otherwise). 

There wasn't any cupcakes but when I walked in I noticed that the sandwich board sign outside boasted of their famous  Triple Coconut Cream Pie and to my delight it's also offered bite sized! A miniature pie is almost like a cupcake, especially a miniature Cream Pie. Plus it's what the Dahlia Bakery is known for, so a bite sized Triple Coconut  Cream Pie it was!


Dahlia Bakery's Triple Coconut Cream Pie Bite
photo by Nikki DeMartini

 All of the artisan breads, handmade pastries and cakes are made fresh daily in small batches. $2.50 is a bit pricey for such a little treat but I figured it had to be worth it! Big flakes of dried coconut are sprinkled over the mountain of fresh whipped cream. Fluffy and not overloaded with sugar, the whipped cream melts in your mouth without leaving a filmy residue on the top of your mouth.  Hiding underneath is the plump dollop of the world famous triple coconut cream cradled in the buttery, light pie crust. Cool and super creamy, the coconut flavor isn't overwhelming or underwhelming, it's just right. I finished my bite sized Triple Coconut Cream Pie in two bites because I was trying to savor the moment but it's name is definitely true to it's size. It was creamy but not rich or heavy. It was the perfect Seattle treat to eat en route to my next tourist attraction. I'm so happy I happened to find Tom Douglas' Dahlia Bakery and their world famous Triple Coconut Cream Pie!


Dahlia Bakery's Triple Coconut Cream Pie Bite
photo by Nikki DeMartini




1 comment: