Friday, May 31, 2019

Luscious Lemon Cupcake from Nourish

Nourish is a 100% plant-based cafe with two locations in San Francisco: one on Hyde street and one on 6th avenue. They have bowls and smoothies, sweet toasts, savory toasts, blue matcha almond milk lattes, one of, if not the most yummy chocolate chip cookie I've tasted and so much more. And, yes! It's all vegan! I visited the Nourish Cafe closest to me to get a chocolate chip cookie and on my way out I saw them. Cupcakes. About half a dozen cupcakes in crafty little containers comprised of upside down plastic cups with lids holding them in place. As I bought a chocolate chip cookie, I asked the guy ringing me up if they always had cupcakes (I had never seen cupcakes there before). "No we don't" he said "they're left over from a catering event we did." He had me at no. Also, how great is it that rather than throw away and waste perfectly good food as so many places and events do, Nourish recycled their cupcakes? Probably more of a monetary move than a green one, but still. 

Luscious Lemon Cupcake from Nourish
photo by Nikki DeMartini
At $4.00 a pop, the little cupcakes were pretty pricey but so are all things that are vegan (that chocolate chip cookie is $5.00, a price I am happy to pay for yumminess). The last cupcake I reviewed was a lemon cupcake but this one was a vegan lemon cupcake and it had edible star glitter AND  Nourish Cafe doesn't always have cupcakes! 

 I bought one of the Luscious Lemon cupcakes then I went home and ate that cupcake. One thing I've noticed about vegan pastries is their lack of flavor, not at Nourish though. The cupcake's frosting was noticeably more lemony then the cake was and it was creamy too! The cake was, dare I say it ...moist, another great feat for a vegan treat. I'm not sure how spelt flour, almond flour, maple syrup, almond milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, cashews, olive oil, apple cider and sea salt mix together to make such a tasty little cupcake but at Nourish Cafe they do! 




Luscious Lemon Cupcake from Nourish
photo by Nikki DeMartini



To be honest, I saved the best for last. The chocolate chip cookie here is legit and they're available every day. I highly recommend it. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a freshly baked one still warm from the oven. Yum!
After visiting their website, now I know that Nourish Café has cakes and cupcakes available for pre-order. They make Red Velvet,  Dark Chocolate and Luscious Lemon cupcakes. Just place your order 48 hours in advance and prepare to be wowed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment