Saturday, April 11, 2020

Carrot cupcakes from Rubicon Bakers

It's been a while since I've reviewed Rubicon Bakers cupcakes, five years to be exact (when I reviewed their Strawberries and Cream cupcakes during the Summer to celebrate my cousin's 16th birthday). Turns out it has also been five years since I reviewed a Carrot Cake cupcake (also around Easter time). 

Now that a lot of places are closed due to shelter in place orders, apparently store front bakeries/cupcake shops are not considered essential. Weird, right? 
However, grocery stores like Whole Foods are open and with Easter this Sunday and being a part-time Amazon Fresh shopper, what better time to try Carrot cupcakes from Rubicon Bakers.
Bunnies like carrots...Easter...Easter bunny...get it?

Rubicon Bakers' Carrot cupcakes 
photo by Nikki DeMartini

When I asked my roommate if she likes carrot cake she said yes, especially with cream cheese frosting. While pondering if there's a carrot cake out there that comes with anything other than cream cheese frosting, I purchased a four pack of  Rubicon Bakers Carrot cupcakes because they do indeed come topped with cream cheese frosting.

 If cupcakes have a season, carrot cake cupcakes have two: Spring and Autumn. The un-official affiliation with carrots and Easter make carrot cake a fun and appropriate flavor. But also, April is known to be the rainy part of the Spring season (April showers bring May flowers) and when it rains doesn't cozying up with a comforting carrot cake sound like it would hit the spot? That same cozy sentiment is why Autumn is also a carrot cake season. That and the fact that it's also Thanksgiving time, the time of year when sugar and spice and everything nice start coming around.

Rubicon Bakers' Carrot cupcake
photo by Nikki DeMartini

Even though I waited a couple of days before taking my first bite of one of the cupcakes, it was still as fresh as ever. My first taste of the cream cheese frosting as I licked a little bit it off of my fingers after getting it out of it's place holder, rendered the slightest familiarity of a toasted cinnamon and ginger. The sprinkle of crushed walnuts on top of the frosting was a nice, subtle touch of texture on the otherwise very smooth dollop.

Before the photo shoot started I noticed carrot shavings in the top of the cupcake and after I clicked a winner I proceeded to do what I usually always do when I eat a cupcake, especially one I'm reviewing: I ripped the bottom part (the cup if you will) off.
I do this because

1. I'm m a frosting junkie and eating a cupcake this way gives me more bang for my buck (or something like that).
2. I want to be able to fully taste the cake itself so that I can review it thoroughly.
3. See reason number one.




Those people who are like "I'm more of a pie person. I just don't like cake there's always too much frosting" and people who do not like raisins should not eat this cupcake.
It had been so long since my last Rubicon Bakers cupcake that I had forgotten that they are filled.
That's right.
I ripped this sucker open and its guts were filled with frosting and raisins.


Rubicon Bakers' Carrot cupcake 
photo by Nikki DeMartini

I love a good, fragrant carrot cake filled with carrots and raisins and I love frosting. This Carrot cupcake was off to a good start before I even tried it.

The color of cake reminded me of dripping molasses, a deep and warm golden brown. Cake stuck to my finger tips as I took bites out of it. Fluffy on the inside yet a little gooey on the outside. The delicate balance of cinnamon, ginger and butter weren't drowned by the chunky raisins and carrots. No, the dried fruit and root veggie complimented the enticing spices while the spices in turn complimented them.





Rubicon Bakers' Carrot cupcake 
photo by Nikki DeMartini

The cream cheese frosting was thick and rich and not too sweet. I think the frosting can really make or break a carrot cake because it's basically an enhanced spice cake and a frosting too sweet would throw off the flavor pallet. This is probably why cream cheese frosting is the go to frosting for carrot cake. The frosting filling gave each bite of cake just a touch of the sweet and tangy confection but the bites from the top where my favorite, so rich and creamy and carrot cakey.
There's a lot packed into these little things from the cake to the frosting, Rubicon Bakers mean business when it comes to their Carrot cupcakes. It was so good, if I didn't know it was a store bought cupcake before hand,  I wouldn't have guessed it.



Every bunny who likes carrot cake will be happy with the Carrot cupcake from Rubicon Bakers no matter what the season it is.








No comments:

Post a Comment