Monday, October 31, 2022

Halloween cupcakes from Bubba Sweets in Huntington Beach

 It's that time of year when everything is sugar andspice and everything nice, especially pumpkin spice. It wasn't hard at all to find a pumpkin spice cucpcake and Bubba's Sweets in Huntington Beach was the spot I got my basic witch on. 


Pumpkin Spice cupcake from Bubba Sweets 
photo by Nikki DeMartini



The stripmall storefront was in the Halloween spirit with spider webs and other festive decorations. They also had Halloweeen themed cupcake flavors! In addition to (just about) everyone's favorite spiced Fall flavor there was a cupcake covered in candy pieces like trick-or-treater's loot called Alice in Wonderland and there was another one with a pretty pink frosting with pink and black sprinkles called Elvira.


 

Elvira cupcake from Bubba Sweets 
photo by Nikki DeMartini












The lady helping me behind the counter was very accomodating. Before going to the back to get me the  one Pumpkin Spice cupcake she asked if I only wanted one, at which point I said yes. She returned with it in a plastic clamshell sized perfectly for one cupcake. That's when I broke the news to her that I decided to get one Elvira cupcake, too. Trick-or-treat! 


Elvira & Pumpkin Spice cupcake from Bubba Sweets 
photo by Nikki DeMartini

I couldn't help but notice how perfectly round and smooth the frosting was on the cupcakes, both adorded with appropriate black and colorful sprinkles around the edge. Up first was pumpkin spice and I could smell its fragent flavor as soon as I removed it from it's packaging. The cake wasn't overly orange as is the case with some pumpkin spice cupcakes. I smelled the inticing blend of spices more than I tasted it.  It wasn't buttery or decodant, a pretty standard cake with a hint of Pumpkin Spice. The frosting was undeniably cream cheese frosting, the top choice for topping Pumpkin Spice cupcakes. These treats had a little trick though...


Pumpkin Spice cupcake from Bubba Sweets 
photo by Nikki DeMartini







You can't tell by looking at it but Bubba's Sweets whips the buttercream frosting! The cream cheese
flavor was on the sweeter side and was as light as air, like biting into a airy, spongey consistancy cloud of yum. The crunchy sprinkles all along the edge gave a nice juxtoposition to the texture. 







Elvira cupcake from Bubba Sweets 
photo by Nikki DeMartini


At the store I had guessed correctly that the Elvira cupcake was chocolate cake with raspberry frosting, another very popular flavor in the world of sweets. The lady who helped me told me that it also has a raspberry filling (like blood! How spookily fitting!) The chocolate cake was one of the better chocolate cakes I've had. Though the deep shade of dark chocolate might have been the richest part about it, it was just chocolatey enough plus, t paired really well with the frosting.
The frosting which was raspberry, was also whipped but it was thicker than the cream cheese frosting on the Pumpkin Spice cupcake. It's pretty hue of the pink was speckled with raspberry seeds which means that Bubba's Sweets using real raspberries in their raspberry frosting, mmm! I think this frosting is just spooktacular: thick, whipped, pink, fresh raspberries, fresh. My last couple of bites finally got me to the raspberry filling: a small dollop that I wanted more of.  





There are so many flavors of cupcakes to try at Bubba Sweets! They even have some that are named after musicans with flavors to match like the Jimmy Buffet pineapple cupcake. Perfect for concert and cupcake reviews here on Sweet Sound Bites!


cupcake from Bubba's Sweets 
photo by Nikki DeMartini

Bubba Sweets in Huntington Beach will be serving their Pumpkin Spice cupcake through the end of December and you can treat yourself to an Elvira cupcake through the end of November. 

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment